- Written by GRE6 GRE6
The Greeley-Evans School District 6 Summer Food Service Program kicks off May 30 at school and park locations throughout Greeley and Evans.
Meals are free to all kids between the ages of one and 18, regardless of income eligibility and residence. Adults can also join in the meals at a cost of $1.70 for breakfast and $3.25 for lunch.
This year, meals will be served at not only schools, but also at area parks and public pool sites. Some meals will be served from the El Fuego Food Truck; others will be served from District 6 food vans under shelters and pop-up tents. There will also be periodic wellness activities and games at the park sites throughout the summer.
The Summer Food Service Program is federally funded through grants from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
“We know that some of our families don’t have access to healthy food during the summer months, and we are happy to offer this program to help ensure our students eat well and return to school in August healthy and ready to learn,” says Superintendent Dr. Deirdre Pilch.
Where breakfast is offered, meals will be served from 7:45 – 9:30am. Lunch will be served at all locations between 11am and 1pm. Meals will be served Monday through Friday from Tuesday, May 30 through Thursday, August 17. For more information, visit www.greeleyschools.org/nutrition.
Here are this summer’s serving locations:
- Monfort Elementary School, 2101 47th Avenue in Greeley: breakfast and lunch
- Centennial Elementary, 1400 37th Street in Evans: breakfast and lunch
- Salida del Sol Academy, 111 26th Street in Greeley: breakfast and lunch
- Anna Gimmestad Park, 17th Avenue and 31st Street in Evans: lunch
- Farr Park, 13th Avenue and 26th Street in Greeley: lunch
- Sunrise Park, 3rd Avenue and 12th Street in Greeley: lunch
- Monfort Park, 47th Avenue and 20th Street in Greeley: lunch
- Island Grove Splash Park, 14th Avenue and A Street in Greeley: lunch
District 6 high schools to start at 8am next year
High schools in Greeley-Evans School District 6 will start classes at 8am beginning in the 2017-18 school year.
Northridge High School, Greeley Central High School, Greeley West High School and Jefferson High School will start at 8am and school will be released at 3:30pm. Early College Academy will start at 7:45am and end at 3:15pm. The Greeley Alternative Program, which operates three “shifts” of classes, will also have its own start and release times for each shift. These changes do not apply to District 6 charter schools.
Start and release times will change for most non-charter schools beginning in August. There are a few exceptions to the standard times, for those schools that have traffic or transportation issues. Here are all the start and release times for District 6 schools in 2017-18:
- Elementary schools, McAuliffe STEM Academy K-8 and Winograd K-8: 7:50pm to 3:10pm
- Middle schools: 8:30am to 3:55pm
- High schools: 8am to 3:30pm
- Chappelow Arts Magnet K-8: 8:10am to 3:30pm
- Romero Academy K-8: 8:25am to 3:45pm (4-8 Campus); 8:35am - 3:55pm (K-3 Campus). This is not a change from the current start and dismissal times.
- Early College Academy: 7:45pm to 3:15pm.
Research supports a later start time for older students who biologically need more sleep and have later sleep cycles than younger students. This research shows improvement in attendance and behavior in schools that implement a later start time for high school students.